Torta di Cimabue is a delectable dessert, served as a cake, but light as a feather and with a heavenly flavor combination of chocolate and hazelnut. Simply wonderful.
Torta di Cimabue
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
- 6 egg whites
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 Cups granulated sugar
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 1/2 Cups hazelnuts, toasted, coarsely
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 Cups heavy cream
- 1/4 Cup confectioners’ sugar
- Beat whites with salt to form soft peaks. Slowly add granulated sugar while beating; beat until stiff and glossy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Using rubber spatula, mix in melted, slightly cooled chocolate, nuts, vanilla and almond extracts; fold lightly until marbled.
- Trace 3 9-inch circles onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Spread meringue evenly among them.
- Bake 1 to 2 hours at 250 degrees F until firm. Turn off heat; let sit at least 1 hour until solid. Remove meringues; cool.
- Whip cream with confectioners’ sugar until soft peaks form. Assemble 3 layers. Fill pastry bag with whipped cream. Spread between and on top of layers; decorate top with remaining whipped cream.