In these trying times, a bowl of Tomato, Tarragon and Vodka Soup with a bit of kick never goes amiss. Just don’t spoon and drive. The grilled cheese sandwiches are optional, but delicious.
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Cup finely-chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves
- 28 ounces imported peeled tomatoes (1 can), chopped
- 2/3 Cup good vodka
- 2 1/2 Cups rich chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper sauce; or to taste
- salt, to taste
- additional tarragon leaves
- paper thin slices of lemon
- dollop of creme fraiche or yogurt
- Heat butter in a saucepan and saute onions and garlic until very soft but not brown.
- Add tarragon, tomatoes, vodka and stock and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes partially covered.
- Off heat, with an immersion blender or a food processor, coarsely puree soup.
- Serve hot or cold garnished with tarragon leaves, lemon slices and creme fraiche.
With rich aromatic flavor, the enticing Vegetable Consomme with Mushroom Ravioli offers added woodsy...
Mrs. Branca was a beloved neighbor of our Publisher, and an outstanding cook and homemaker. Often, s...
All-American Apple Pie is the ultimate classic in American gastronomy. The quintessential comfort fo...
Cannoli are a traditional Sicilian dessert, usually served after dinner with a simple espresso. They...