Author: Barbara Norman
Recipe type: Sauces
- 6 large tomatoes, very ripe, peeled, seeded and chopped or (3 to 4 Cups canned tomatoes)
- 2 large onions; chopped fine
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil to the verge of smoking in a large skillet. Fry onions until golden. Add tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook slowly until all liquid has evaporated and sauce has thickened (10 to 15 minutes).
- This recipe makes 3 1/2 to 4 cups of sauce.
- Comments: If the ripe tomatoes are not sweet, add a pinch of sugar to the sauce. The sauce may be seasoned with garlic if you like: add a minced clove or two when onions are golden. Tomato-Onion Sauce is the base for countless recipes, and is used for foods of pronounced flavor such as mussels or cod, and for vegetables.
Recipe Source: THE SPANISH COOKBOOK by Barbara Norman