Perfectly paired with a cup of espresso or a fine liqueur, Tiramisu makes a great dessert after a grand meal or a comfortable burger. Molto delicioso!
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
- 3 1/2 large eggs yolks
- 8 Tablespoons sugar, divided use
- 2 1/2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup pastry flour
- confectioners' sugar, as needed
- 1 Cup Mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 1 Cup brewed espresso
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1/4 Cup dark rum
- cocoa powder, as needed
- Beat 2-1/2 egg yolks with 2 Tablespoons sugar on high speed with until ribbons form; set aside.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add 3 Tablespoons sugar, mixing until stiff and shiny. Fold half of whites into yolks. Add vanilla and fold in. Sift flour into mixture and fold until just blended.
- Gently fold in remaining egg whites.
- Fill pastry bag fitted with large round tip and pipe batter into 1 1/2-inch rounds on parchment lined baking sheets. Dust with confectioner's sugar and bake in preheated 325 degrees F. oven 15 minutes.
- Beat together mascarpone, remaining egg yolk, cream and remaining 3 Tablespoons sugar. Refrigerate.
- Combine brewed espresso, instant espresso dissolved and rum; set aside.
- To assemble, spoon half of mascarpone filling in pastry bag fitted with medium round tip.
- Working in batches, soak ladyfingers in espresso mixture. Pipe about 1 Tablespoon mascarpone in a bowl, about 4-inches high and 4-inches in diameter, and then 2 ladyfingers on top slightly offset so that only about 1/4-inch overlaps.
- Pipe 1 1/2 Tablespoons circle on top of ladyfingers and then 2 more ladyfingers on top with the same overlap.
- Pipe another layer of filling and then top with one ladyfinger. Cover with any remaining mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Dust with cocoa powder just before serving.