Great served with hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled bratwurst or other summertime barbecued or grilled meats. Really kicks up the flavor of a burger.
Author: Bev Bennett
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 2 jars
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 shallot; peeled and minced
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- One at a time, place red, yellow and jalapeno peppers over open flame of stove top. Blacken on all sides, about 5 minutes per pepper.
- Or, place all 3 peppers under broiler for about 5 minutes, until blackened.
- Remove peppers; place in paper bag. Close bag and set aside for 1 hour. Place the bag in a wide bowl as the peppers will steam and make liquid.
- Using paring knife, peel peppers, scraping away skin. Core and seed.
- Cut peppers into thin 1- to 2-inch-long strips.
- Place in serving bowl along with shallot, oil, vinegar, salt, and black pepper to taste.
The recipe may be frozen for later use, or, pickled by adding white vinegar, salt and sugar. Normally, will keep in the refrigerator up to one week.