The Taste of Autumn Pasta
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 1 butternut squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Italian sausages (you can use hot or sweet), casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons chopped, fresh sage leaves
- 1 1/4 Cups chicken stock
- 1/4 Cup white wine
- 8 ounces penne- or rigatoni-rigate pasta (half a box or bag)
- Coat a heated heavy skillet pan with olive oil. Cook butternut squash on high, not moving around too much, allowing the edges caramelize -- about 5 minutes or so. Remove from pan.
- Now, add the sausage, and break it up in the pan. After that is browned, about 5 to 8 minutes, add the garlic, chopped sage and white wine and simmer for 3 minutes until liquid is evaporated.
- Add the chicken stock and return the cooked butternut squash to the pan and simmer 10 minutes, until squash is tender.
- While sauce is simmering, boil your pasta in salted water and drain -- about 16 to 18 minutes. Reserve about 1 cup of pasta cooking water, before draining.
- Add your cooked, well drained pasta to the sauce. If the sauce becomes too thick, use small amounts of the reserved cooking water to thin it, about 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time until the sauce is the desired consistency.
- Serve immediately.