With roots firmly established in Germany, The Falls City Carbonade is a delectable beef recipe that comes to us from Kentucky. An excellent dish that fills the tummy with delight.
- 1 beef rump roast, 3 to 3-1/2 pounds (see step 1)
- 4 Tablespoons beef suet or vegetable oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 4 onions, sliced
- 1/4 Cup water
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 Cups beer
- 3 Cups brown soup stock (see topic 3) or bouillon
- 2 ribs celery, cut in half
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut in half
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Have your butcher slice the roast into 12 to 14 slices.
- Melt the suet, if using, in a 400 degree oven while you flatten the slices of beef a bit with the flat side of a mallet. Then reduce the heat to 325 degrees F.
- Heat the suet or vegetable oil in a large iron skillet over medium heat. Saute the slices of meat, a few at a time, in the fat until they have browned lightly on both sides. Be careful not to burn the fat. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Transfer the slices of meat as they brown to another pan to keep warm.
- Add 2 Tablespoons butter to the skillet and blend it with the brown crustiness from the beef. Add the onions and water. Cook until the onions absorb the butter and meat juices somewhat. Season with salt.
- Layer the meat and onions in a casserole or dutch oven, ending with a top layer of meat.
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, and beer in the skillet and deglaze over medium heat. Stir well and pour over the meat and onions.
- Add enough beef stock or bouillon to cover the meat well. If there is not enough, add some water. Add the celery, carrots, parsley, bay leaves, and thyme.
- Cover, and cook in the oven for 1 1/2 hours. Then blend together the softened butter and flour and whisk it into the meat juices. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and continue to cook until the meat is exquisitely tender and the juices have thickened. This may take another 30 minutes, depending upon the quality of the meat. Discard the seasoning vegetables and herbs.
Fresh Blueberry and Lemon Parfait is an absolute gem of a dessert. The exceptional blend of blueberr...
Beets are very much underrated in America, but are most delicious. Combined with onions and a delici...
This hot dog isn't even close to the type you'll find at the county fair or the ballpark. The Billio...
While Rice Cooler Horchata is a beverage, it is also a sweet dessert, suitable for either purpose. I...