In the 19th Century, burgers became the average man’s steak, greatly improving the protein content in the diet of immigrants. Many who came to America that had been traditionally short people, suddenly were bearing sons who grew to over 6 feet tall. Americans loved the burger as it meant that everyone was rich and could enjoy steak anytime. Incredibly affordable, most everyone could enjoy a burger.
The list of possible toppings is but a brief and basic one here. Be creative and try such things as deep fried jalapeño peppers, or French fried onions, and such exotic things as sautéed wild mushrooms.
- 1 garlic clove; minced
- 2 Tablespoons finely-chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon steak sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 4 dashes hot pepper sauce; to taste
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 hamburger buns; split, toasted
- lettuce leaves; (optional)
- American cheese slices; (optional)
- tomato slices; (optional)
- pickle slices; (optional)
- red onion slices; (optional)
- For sauce, in a small saucepan combine the garlic or onion, ketchup, steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, cooking oil, vinegar, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; set aside.
- For burgers, in a medium mixing bowl combine the ground beef, salt and pepper; mix well. Shape meat mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- To cook by indirect grill method: In a covered grill arrange preheated coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan. Place meat on the grill rack over the drip pan. cover and grill for 20 to 24 minutes, or until no pink remains, turning once halfway through grilling time and brushing frequently with sauce.
- To cook by direct grill method: Grill meat on the grill rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 14 to 18 minutes, or until no pink remains, turning once halfway through grilling time and brushing frequently with sauce.
- To serve, split and toast the buns on the grill. Serve patties in buns with cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle, if desired.
Avocado Potato Salad is a richly flavored summertime salad perfect to accompany sandwiches, steaks, ...
Pasta Primavera is a glorious rite of Spring and delicious blend of fresh vegetables that enriches, ...
Classic Spinach Lasagna embodies all the glorious flavors of late summer and autumn in every bite. T...
Irish Oxtail Soup is an incredible, rich, flavorful soup that's nutrient rich and powerfully tasty. ...