Teisen Mel (Traditional Welsh Honeycake)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Cakes
- 1/2 pounds plain white household flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 pound runny honey
- 1 Tablespoon runny honey
- 1/4 pound butter
- 1/4 pound caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon milk (or double this amount)
- Sieve the flour, raising agent and spice into a bowl. Lightly grease a tin pie plate measuring about 8-1/2-inches across the top. Cream the butter with 3 oz sugar until creamy and light. Add the egg yolks then the 1/4 lb honey, gradually. Gently mix in the flour, then the milk.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared tin, mounding it slightly in the centre, and then bake at 400 F (200 C) gas mark 6 for about half an hour. Let the cake rest in its tin for 2 minutes before turning it out on to a wire rack. Let it cool for 10 minutes then slide it on to a baking tray and brush the top with 1 tablespoon warmed honey - or Red Currant jelly if you prefer.
- Whisk the egg whites and the remaining 1 oz sugar to make a glossy meringue mixture. Swirl this over the top of the cake and bake at 325 F (160 C) gas mark 3 for about 20 minutes.
Makes 1 cake.
Serve the cake when it is cold.