In Greek restaurants or tavernas throughout Europe, this is a favored appetizer, but uncommon in North America. Its delightful flavor should not be missed.
Taramosalata (Greek Pate)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, crust removed
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 pound smoked cod roe
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and pressed
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream plus
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- black pepper to taste
- black olive for garnish
- lemon slice, for garnish
- 2 Tablespoons parsley, fresh, chopped
- Place the bread in a shallow dish, sprinkle the milk over and leave to soak.
- Using a spoon or knife, scrape the cod roe out of its skin and into a food processor or blender. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and bread, and puree until smooth.
- Beat the cream until it thickens but is not stiff.
- Turn the cod roe mixture into a bowl, fold in cream and parsley until well mixed.
- Season with black pepper.
- Turn into a serving dish and garnish with paprika, lemon slice and a black olive.
- Serve with hot pita bread.