An amazing and unique variation on Creme Brulee, this one uses tapioca pudding and adds summer fruits over the caramel topping. Brilliant results!
Tapioca Brulee with Fresh Summer-Fruit Topping
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Desserts
- 1/3 Cup sugar
- 1/3 Cup instant tapioca
- 3 Cups milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Cup blueberries
- 1 Cup strawberries; quartered
- 1 navel orange; peeled with pith removed
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons water
- Make tapioca: In medium saucepan, combine sugar, tapioca, milk, and egg yolks; let stand 5 minutes. Heat to full boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add vanilla. Mix. Cool slightly; pour into 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish. Refrigerate 1 hour or until cold.
- At serving time, place berries in bowl. With knife, section orange, allowing fruit and juice to fall into bowl. Toss; spoon over tapioca.
- Make caramel: In small saucepan, combine ingredients; cover. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Uncover; swirl pan until syrup is golden. (If syrum begins to form crystals, cover; cook until golden, checking color occasionally.) Drizzle caramel over fruit and tapioca.
Nutritional Information per Serving: 255 calories; 6 g protein; 47 g carbohydrate; 6 g fat; 87 mg cholesterol; 64 my sodium