An extraordinary tart with rich, tangy custard and a strong lemon flavor that is hard to beat for great taste. Astounding.
Tangy Lemon Custard Tart
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Desserts
- 1 2/3 Cups whole-wheat pastry or unbleached white flour
- 2 Tablespoons date sugar
- 4 Tablespoons chilled unsalted butter
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons ice water
- grated rind of 1 small lemon
- juice of 2 medium lemons
- 1/2 Cup light honey or to taste
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and date sugar. Make a well in center of dry ingredients and grate in butter or stir in oil. With fingers or a pastry mixer, combine butter and flour mixture until it is the texture of cornmeal. Do not over mix. Add egg white, vinegar and enough of the ice water to form a ball of dough. Wrap in plastic wrap a refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, combine lemon rind, juice, honey, and eggs, and puree until smooth.
- Lightly flour a counter or breadboard. Roll ball of dough into a 14-inch circle and press into a 9-inch tart pan (preferably one with fluted edges). Pour in lemon filling.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then lower heat to 350 degrees and bake until firm and lightly browned (about 30 more minutes).
- Makes 1 nine-inch tart.