This spicy, aromatic sauce adds serious flavor to grilled meats, poultry or seafood.
Sweet Spicy Chili Sauce
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Sauces
Serves: 2 1/2 Cups
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 Spanish onion, cut in quarters
- 2 fresh green chilies, seeded
- 2 Tablespoons corn oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 can tomatoes in juice (8 ounce)
- 1/3 Cup seedless raisins
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons light-brown sugar
- salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- fresh parsley sprig (optional)
- In a blender or food processor, finely chop garlic, onion and chilies.
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Add onion mixture and ginger and cook gently 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and break up with a spoon. Stir in raisins, lemon juice, soy sauce, brown sugar and water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Process in a blender or food processor to desired consistency. Reheat and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley sprig, if desired.
- Makes 2-1/2 cups.
NOTE: Serve hot with grilled steak, fried chicken or grilled whitefish.