Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Savoury Butters
Serves: 1 batch
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium shallot, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1/4 Cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Prick sweet potatoes. Place on a baking sheet and cook about 40 minutes, or until softened. Let cool.
- Peel sweet potatoes, cut into chunks and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in an 8-inch skillet over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low and add shallots; cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, 6 to 8 minutes. Add vinegar, cook 2 minutes. Stir in ginger, mustard, cayenne, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place sweet potatoes in a food processor; add shallot mixture, process until smooth. Transfer mixture to a heavy saucepan. Over low heat, cook 1 hour, stirring often, until it takes on a deep rich color.
- Cool completely. Transfer mixture to an electric mixer. Add remaining 4 tablespoons butter in small pieces. Whip until fluffy; serve with biscuits.