Sweet Potato and Apple Spice Stuffed Turkey Roulade is a uniquely flavorful way to serve a delicious dinner, perfect for holidays. Superior eating with a wonderful Coffee-Nut Streusel and Calvados Gastrique.
- 1 turkey breast, 4 to 5 pounds, skin on
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 small cooking apple, peeled and cut into chunks, kept in acidulated water*
- 1/2 Cup sweet potato, peeled, diced, blanched
- 1/4 Cup yellow onions, small dice
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt, Kosher
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon star-anise extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 vanilla bean
- 1/4 Cup pre-shelled roasted chestnuts, halved
- 1/4 Cup graham-cracker crumbs
- butcher’s twine, as needed
- 1 Cup Calvados or Applejack brandy
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup apple-cider vinegar
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped fine
- 1/2 Cup butter, melted
- 1/3 Cup ground coffee (medium grind)
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili pepper
- Prepare turkey breast for stuffing: Place skin-side down on cutting board; with a paring knife, slice down center to butterfly turkey breast without breaking the skin. Pound meat gently with meat mallet to about 1/2-inch thickness, being careful not to break the skin.
- In a medium-sized sauté pan over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil; gently sauté apple, sweet potato and onions until softened, about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Strain any liquid, discard.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter, brown sugar, salt, white pepper, star-anise extract, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla bean seeds (reserve pod), chestnuts and graham-cracker crumbs. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Place cooled mixture over 1/2 of butterflied turkey breast. Roll into roulade, starting at the side with stuffing. Tie with butcher's twine.
- In a large sauté pan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat; sear turkey on all sides.
- Grease baking pan with oil; place turkey in greased pan; pour over juices from sauté pan; cover with aluminum foil.
- Roast in preheated 350 degrees F oven 45 minutes to 1 hour, until stuffing reaches internal temperature of 160 degrees F. Remove from oven, leaving oven on. Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes.
- Remove butcher's twine, saving any juices.
- Bring Calvados or Applejack, sugar, vinegar, cold water and reserved vanilla-bean pod to a low boil over medium-high heat; cook until syrupy, about 5 minutes.
- Discard pod; remove from heat; set aside.
- Combine nuts, melted butter, ground coffee, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and chili pepper in bowl; crumble evenly over turkey.
- Return to oven; roast 10 more minutes or until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F.
- Allow to rest. Slice warm; served drizzled with Calvados Gastrique.
This truly simple recipe produces outstanding results every time, with perfect rice to accompany all...
Peach Ginger Upsidedown Cake is a refreshing, delightful treat; perfect for afternoon tea, brunch or...
An enticing, alluring and colorful Yellow Tomato Gazpacho helps cool and refresh on a hot summer's e...
Whether you're honoring a birthday, anniversary, holiday or just Springtime itself, lemon-flavored S...