These marvelous Sweet Pickle Chips are tasty and make a great accompaniment with sandwiches and burgers.
Sweet Pickle Chips
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Accompaniments
Serves: 5 pints
- 4 pounds 3 to 5 inch cucumbers
Pickling Liquid 1:
- 1 Quart Heinz pure vinegar, 5% acid
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons ball canning and pickle salt
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 7 cinnamon sticks
Pickling Liquid 2:
- 5 Cups sugar
- 2 Cups white wine vinegar, 5% acid
- 1 Tablespoon whole allspice
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- Prepare home canning jars and lids according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Wash cucumbers; cut into 1/4-inch slices. Discard ends.
- Prepare Pickling Liquid 1 by combining vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard seed, and cinnamon sticks in a large saucepot; add sliced cucumbers; simmer 5 minutes. Drain cucumbers; discard liquid.
- Prepare pickling Liquid 2 by combining sugar, vinegar, allspice, and celery seed; heat to boiling. Pack cucumbers into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles with a non-metallic spatula. Adjust caps.
- Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath canner.