Surprisingly, these delightful sandwiches do not have an intense onion flavor or odor. They make an excellent hors d’oeuvre when cut in small size. Great with cocktails.
- 8 thin white or 7-grain bread slices; crusts trimmed
- 1/3 Cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons minced parsley
- 1/2 sweet onion; peeled
- freshly-ground black pepper; to taste
- parsley sprigs; for garnish
- Place the bread slices in a single layer on work surface. Combine the mayonnaise and parsley in a small dish. Spread 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise mixture on each slice. Pull a sharp swivel-blade vegetable peeler across the onion to make paper-thin slices. Arrange the onion in a single layer on 4 slices. Sprinkle generously with pepper. Close the sandwiches. Wrap each airtight in plastic. Refrigerate from 2 to 6 hours.
- To serve, unwrap the sandwiches, then cut crosswise into 4 triangles. Arrange them on a platter; garnish with parsley sprigs.
Each of 8 servings: 121 calories; 243 mg sodium; 3 mg cholesterol; 4 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 18 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams protein; 1.16 grams fiber.
Comments: A good variation is sliced green olives with pimentos in place of the sweet onion.
NOTES: Recipe by Abby Mandel, cookbook author, syndicated food columnist, and a James Beard Foundation award winner.
Serve with chilled vodka, and near a bowl of caviar or chilled shrimp.