Who would think that Sweet Corn Ice Cream would be utterly delicious, delectably exciting and so infinitely tasty? We would, and so will you. Critical to this recipe is straining the pureed mixture to remove any solids that may ruin the creamy mixture.
- 2 ears white sweet corn, shucked and knifed
- 2 Cups whole milk
- 1 Cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 Cup sour cream
- Hold each ear of corn upright on a plate or in a shallow bowl.
- Using a sharp chef’s knife, cut down along the cob, following the contour of the ear and keeping the knife blade close to the cob to extract all the juice. (We recommend extreme caution to avoid cutting your fingers.)
- Transfer the kernels to a large, heavy-bottomed, nonreactive saucepan (steel or enamel). Add the milk, sugar, and salt and place over low heat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn is tender, 25 to 30 minutes. (Taste a few kernels to see if they're soft.)
- Once the corn is tender, transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and process to a smooth purée. Pour it through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean bowl. Whisk in the sour cream.
- When the mixture has totally cooled, cover the bowl tightly and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or preferably overnight. When you are ready to freeze the mixture, transfer it to an ice cream maker and spin according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Eat immediately, or transfer to an airtight container, cover, and freeze for up to 1 week.
We recommend sweet white corn, best at the late part of summer and early September. Yellow corn works well, too, at the same time of year. Do not use canned or frozen corn for this.
We also recommend shucking corn still in its husks. This ensures the maximum sweetness. Pre-packaged husked corn has already lost a lot of flavor before it is packaged, and picks up flavors of the plastic wrapping. Fresh, unshucked corn is always best.
Chicken with Calvados in Cream is a classic of Normandy's delightful cuisine; a simple chicken dish ...
Our Double Bacon Double Cheese Burger mixes bacon with ground beef, and adds crispy bacon as well as...
Shrimp Bisque is classy, soothing, sultry and incredibly seductive. The flavor is rich and tantalizi...
Ideal for entertaining or light nibbles at a cocktail party, Cocktail Puffs with Herbs (Gougeres aux...