These delightfully glazed pecans are an absolute pleasure as snacks, but are useful in so many ways. Perfect as a garnish for tarts, cakes, puddings, custards or other desserts. Wonderfully delicious.
- 1/2 Cup butter, unsalted
- 2 large eggs, whites only
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 Cup sugar, granulated
- 1 Quart pecan halves
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- Set aside stick of butter to melt in a long pan. (Don't use a pan that has depressions around the side, such as for lasagna.) Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Separate eggs; sprinkle a pinch of salt onto the egg whites. (You can reserve the yolks to make custards.) Beat the whites to form soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Fold in pecan halves.
- Turn out pecans and spread OVER the melted butter (don't stir them in). Cook for 15 minutes. Take out the pan and stir the nuts. Cook another 10 minutes, take out and stir. Repeat until the nuts are separated and all the butter is absorbed (a little over one hour).
- BE PATIENT! For a long time it will look totally disgusting and you will be sure I gave you a bogus recipe, but it works!
- Theoretically you can use other nuts, but we've tried both almonds and walnuts and were disappointed. The buttery nature of pecans cannot be replaced by other nutmeats.
Orange-Spice Coffee Cake offers a delicate blend of orange and spice. Perfect for breakfast, brunch...
An interesting dish that may be served for a variety of meals from breakfast to a delightful appetiz...
Cheddar adds an alluring flavor to the crust of a hearty apple pie. Serve with cream or cheese. Appl...
Perfect for an average 10-pound bird, Sherried Chestnut Stuffing is filled with the flavors and text...