Swedish Meatballs are a grand old classic with a rich, delectable sauce. They may be served for cocktail parties on picks or as a main course over buttered noodles. Great comfort food.
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon concentrated meat extract
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Cup water
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons minced parsley
- 2 Cups soft bread crumbs
- 2/3 Cup milk
- 1/2 Cup yellow onion, peeled and trimmed, minced
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef or veal
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Soak bread crumbs in milk until softened. Add onion to 1 Tablespoon butter in small saucepan and cook slowly 3 minutes.
- Mix softened bread, cooked onion and meat. Add eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and paprika. Mix thoroughly until very smooth and light.
- Shape meat into small balls, about 1-to 1 1/2-inches in diameter dusting the hands with flour while shaping the balls. Make the smaller size for cocktail parties.
- Melt remaining 3 Tablespoons butter in large frying pan. Add meat balls and fry until golden brown all over. Remove from pan and add meat extract and 3 Tablespoons flour. Stir until well blended. Add water, and a few grains of pepper. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Reduce heat to very low and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream, a rounded tablespoon at a time, stirring until thoroughly blended after each addition. Return meatballs to gravy, cover pan and simmer very gently 10 minutes.
- Serve in deep casserole. Sprinkle with minced parsley.
The flavors of Gazpacho Macaroni Salad complement its colorful composition, yielding a tasty treat t...
A delectably creamy, refreshing and healthful dish, Chilled Avocado Soup may be served with Pico de ...
Barbara Krasner's Apple-Cherry Cardamom Strudel is an extraordinary, unusual twist on the traditiona...
Lemon Cornmeal Cake with Mascarpone Sauce and Blueberries is a delightful summertime dessert. The f...