Surprise Meat Loaf Squares
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 Cup onion; chopped, 1 medium
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 16 ounces tomatoes; stewed, 1 can
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 Cups eggplant; pared, finely chopped
- 1 egg; large
- 1/4 Cup oats; quick cooking
- 1/2 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic; minced
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the meat, eggplant, onion, egg, milk, oats, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt and the basil together. Spread the mixture into an ungreased baking pan 8 X 8 X 2 or 9 X 9 X 2-inches. Bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes. Drain off the excess fat.
- Mix the tomatoes, garlic, cornstarch and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Cut the meat loaf into squares and top with the tomato sauce when you serve it.
NOTE: Any type of summer squash can be substituted for the eggplant in this recipe.