Our recipe for Summer Berry Paris-Brest is a gem of a dessert, ideally suited to special occasions or celebrations. Simply superb and utterly delicious.
Summer Berry Paris-Brest
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
- 10 ounces heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 1 Tablespoon amaretto (see notes)
- 1 Cup (150g) confectioners' sugar, plus extra to serve
- 9 ounces strawberries, trimmed and quartered
- 8 ounces fresh raspberries
- 1/2 Cup (40g) flaked almonds, toasted
- 3/4 stick (3 1/2 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1/2 Cup (125ml) milk
- 1 1/4 Cups (175g) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 5 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 410°F. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Draw a 7-inch circle in the center of the sheet of baking paper, then flip the paper over.
- For the choux pastry, melt the butter with the milk and 1/2 cup (125ml) water in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and confectioners' sugar, then beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes away from the sides of the pan. Transfer the mixture to a heatproof bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Lightly beat 4 eggs, then add them to the mixture, a little at a time, beating well after each addition, until thick and glossy. Spoon the dough into a piping bag fitted with a plain, round 3/4-inch nozzle.
- Carefully pipe one ring over the circle template, then another on the inside of the ring, allowing the rings of batter to touch. Pipe a third ring on top of the first two, over the seam, then smooth out any bumps with a finger dipped in cold water. Lightly beat the remaining 1 egg, then brush over the dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven to 375°F and bake for a further 30 minutes or until puffed and golden. Turn off the oven and allow to cool in the oven with the door ajar.
- To make the filling, beat the cream, vanilla seeds, amaretto and 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar using electric beaters until soft peaks form.
- Use a sharp knife to split the pastry ring in half horizontally. Remove any damp or uncooked pastry, then spread the cream mixture over the bottom half and top with the strawberries and raspberries. Top with the pastry lid.
- To make the icing, sift the remaining 5 ounces confectioners' sugar into a bowl and add 1 to 2 tablespoons water. Whisk until smooth, then drizzle over the pastry, allowing it to drip down the sides. Scatter with almonds and dust with extra confectioners' sugar to serve.
Amaretto is an Italian almond liqueur available from most liquor stores.
Serving size: 1 serving Calories: 646 Fat: 40g Saturated fat: 22g Carbohydrates: 60g Sugar: 33g Sodium: 442mg Fiber: 5g Protein: 12g Cholesterol: 343mg