The Savoy cabbage is little used in the United States, which is an absolute shame. It is a wonderful vegetable with a much more aromatic flavor and is also sweeter than its cousin the typical white cabbage.
Recognized by its deep, emerald green leaves that are diapered with a spider web pattern, the light, refreshing leaves are superb, particularly as a wrapping for stuffed dishes. Available in Autumn, the Savoy makes a great stuffed cabbage and here, we present a superb recipe we know you will love – Savoy Stuffed Cabbage. If you cannot find a Savoy at your local supermarket, complain to the store manager and settle for a white cabbage in its place.
- 1 medium soft savoy cabbage
- 1 pound ground pork (try to choose a lean and light pink piece; it is a better quality meat)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 Tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced smoked bacon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- In a large pot boil water with a Tablespoon salt.
- Peel off gently cabbage leaves, throw away the outer layer.
- Put the cabbage leaves in a boiling water and let it blanch for about 5 minutes or until the leaves turn bright green. Dry and cool them on a colander.
- Chop onion as thinly as you can, fry it in a tablespoon of oil.
- Mix ground pork with spices, breadcrumbs, and onion. Using your hands mix all the ingredients, until they create a smooth feeling. Divide meat into ten equal portions
- At that point heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Select the smallest leaves and put a one portion of meat inside, then place it on a big leaf that you will use as wrap.
- Put oil in a baking dish and place all the the rolls next to each other.
- If you like bacon, cover rolls with bacon slices, or with a few slivers of butter.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake it for another 20 minutes, until the rolls get slightly brown on top.
- Serve with potatoes or rye bread and fresh tomato salad.
Sliced, the Savoy Stuffed Cabbage is a flavorful meatloaf wrapped in a tasty vegetable. Simply extraordinary.
The flavorful batter for these tender Buttermilk-Cinnamon Apple Fritters completes the equation, mak...
Cinnamon-Scented Apple Noodle Kugel is an exceptional dessert, perfect for Autumn and Winter seasons...
Every spoonful of Honey Country Ice Cream adds a sweet flavor that's incredibly rustic, yet sophisti...
Rhubarb Tarte Tatin served with Mascarpone is an outstanding British dessert of impeccable quality, ...