Stuffed Flank Steak
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
- 1 flank steak (1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups cornbread stuffing
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 Cup very hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1. Place flank steak on sheet of waxed paper. Cover with another sheet of waxed paper. Pound covered steak with mallet or bottom of heavy skillet until about 3/8 inch thick. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet with a lid or in a Dutch oven over medium heat, Add the onion; saute until tender, stirring often; do not let brown. Remove from the heat. Add the corn-bread stuffing, 1/4 cup of the green chilies, chili powder, cumin and hot water; stir until well blended.
- 3- Sprinkle the steak with the salt and pepper. Mound the stuffing down the center third of the steak. Bring up the long sides of the steak over the stuffing to meet, slightly overlapping. Tie the roll securely with kitchen twine at 1 1/2-inch intervals to close.
- 4- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the same pot over medium-high heat, Add the steak roll; brown the roll on all sides. Add the tomatoes and the remaining chilies. Bring the whole mixture to boiling. Lower the heat; cover the pot and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
- 5- To serve: Place the stuffed roll on a cutting board. Cut the roll into 1/2-inch-thick slices, removing and discarding the twine as you slice.
- Arrange the slices on a platter or individual dinner plates. Pour the tomato sauce from the skillet into a gravy boat. Pass the sauce separately with the meat.