Stuffed Artichokes I
Author: Barbara Norman
Recipe type: Vegetables
- 8 small artichokes
- 1/2 pound veal or beef
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup dry bread crumbs
- salt, to taste
- Clean artichokes under cold running water. Remove coarse leaves at bottom of stem and cut off stem to make an even base. Cut off tops of artichokes and trim pointed tips of lower leaves. Rub leaves with lemon to prevent their turning dark. Cook artichokes in boiling water until tender (20 to 30 minutes). They are done when a leaf pulls off easily. Drain well by squeezing them and save cooking water. Remove tender leaves in center and scrape out and discard hairy part with a spoon.
- Fry meat in olive oil. Put meat through meat grinder and add to it the hard-boiled egg and the tender part of the artichoke leaves you removed.
- Season with nutmeg, chopped parsley, and a little salt. Fill artichokes. (This much can be done in advance.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put stuffed artichokes in ovenproof casserole in which they fit so tightly they cannot fall apart. Cover bottom of casserole with the water in which the artichokes cooked. Sprinkle tops with bread crumbs and bake in upper part of oven 20 minutes or until meat is cooked and top of artichokes are browned.
Recipe Source: THE SPANISH COOKBOOK by Barbara Norman