One of the treasures of afternoon tea or an evening coffee, Streusel Coffee Cake is perfect for entertaining friends or family. Great for breakfast too. Flavorful, sweet and always delightful.
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 Cup cold unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 Tablespoons (1/2 Cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 Cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 Cups buttermilk, mixed with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ripe firm pears, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9 x 13 inch pan and set aside.
- Make the streusel: In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, walnuts, and butter and cut together with two knives, your fingers or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles large bread crumbs. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Make the cake: Sift together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt and place onto a large sheet of waxed paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugars, continuing to beat until very light. Add the eggs one at a time, beating each one in well before adding the next.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately beat in the flour and the buttermilk, beating until the batter is just mixed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and scatter over the chopped pears and the cold streusel mixture, pressing gently into the top of the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the top of the cake is firm and the streusel is crisp and bubbling (a skewer inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean), about 40 to 45 minutes. Cool slightly in the pan on a wire rack and serve warm.
It is said that when Marco Polo first tried "spaghet", it was Lo Mein he actually tried, and in Easy...
Vanilla Mousse is light, simple and delightful, with an airy, soft texture that seems to deflate on ...
The earthy flavor of Cepe Consommé, particularly enhanced with Madeira, provides a rich, comfortable...
Apricot, Fig and Spice Christmas Cake is a delicious fruitcake made with dried fruits and spices. Ea...