Strawberry-Rhubarb Cobbler is a glorious treat and perfect for the beginning of the summer season when berries and rhubarb are first in season. Simply delicious.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
- 4 pints strawberries, hulled, cut into small-dice
- 10 stalks rhubarb, cut into small-dice
- 2 1/2 Cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/4 Cup lemon juice
- 2 vanilla beans, halved
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- Kosher salt, as needed
- 1 1/2 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar, light
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 Cup buttermilk
- whipped cream, to garnish
- In a large bowl, mix together strawberries, rhubarb, granulated sugar, 1/2 cup vanilla extract, lemon juice, vanilla beans, corn starch and 2 pinches salt . Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for 12 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop mixture into 16 8-ounce oven-proof serving dishes. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes or until fruit is tender.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and brown sugar. Gradually add flour, baking powder, remaining 2 Tablespoons vanilla and 1 pinch salt. Drizzle in buttermilk until just combined. Cover with plastic wrap; chill 2 hours.
- Place dough between two sheets of plastic wrap. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to 1/4-inch thick. Remove top layer of plastic wrap; cut dough in 2-inch rounds. Bake rounds at 350 degrees F for 8 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown.
- For each order, place 1 round on top of the baked fruit. Heat until warmed through. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.
To make outstanding strawberry-rhubarb martinis, strain and save the liquid remaining from the macerated strawberries and rhubarb. Use it as a syrup with chilled vodka.