One of the favorite breakfast recipes made in America, Steak and Eggs is particularly special for occasions or a wonderful weekend brunch. Simple, delicious and just delightful.
- 4 sirloin strip steaks, neatly trimmed and boneless, each about 3/4 inch thick
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 pinches cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 pieces Maitre d'Hotel butter (see Recipe) for garnish
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 8 large eggs, cracked into individual bowls and checked for spots or broken shells*
- The Very Best Home Fries (see Recipe)
- * Eggs with red or dark spots should be discarded and a new egg broken into a clean bowl to replace it. Shells hold bacteria on their outer surface. Contact between that surface and the eggs within, even in a bowl can contaminate the eggs. If eggshells are broken into the bowl, make sure to cook the eggs thoroughly, using a technique like scrambling until dry.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly sprinkle steaks with cumin on both sides, as evenly as possible.
- Heat an oven-ready skillet and add oil to hot pan. Add garlic to the oil and stir, to spread garlic out. Do not allow it to burn. Immediately place steaks in the pan and sear on both sides. Cook about 2 minutes on each side on the stove top. Then move the pan (carefully) to the oven and roast for approximately 5 minutes (less time for rare or medium rare steaks; an extra minute for well done).
- When done, remove from oven and set aside.
- Melt butter in frying pans. Gently slide eggs into the melted butter and fry sunny side up. If preferred, you may make scrambled or poached eggs for this recipe, to your personal preferences.
- Plate some home fries on a dish. Add a steak and on the side, two eggs.
- Place a piece of Maitre d'Hotel butter on each steak.
Serve with a lettuce and tomato garnish, a Mimosa (sparkling wine and orange juice) and coffee.[br][br]Wonderful accompanied by Worcestershire sauce.