Springerle (Molded Christmas Cookies)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Cookies
Serves: 6 dozen
- 4 eggs; large
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 4 1/2 Cups cake flour; sifted
- Beat eggs until very light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar; beat for 15 minutes. DO NOT underbeat.
- Fold in anise extract and flour.
- Roll dough 3/8-inch thick.
- Thoroughly flour springerle mold or rolling pin. Press molds firmly to dough.
- Cut cookies apart and place on greased and floured cookie sheet.
- Let dry overnight at room temperture, covered with paper towels, or uncovered.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place cookies in oven and immediately reduce temperature to 300 degrees F. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cookies should not brown. Store cookies 2 to 3 weeks to mellow flavor.
- These cookies are very hard and may be used for dunking in coffee, tee or cocoa.
- For Christmas, paint designs with egg yolk colored with food coloring.
- Makes 6 dozen. Yield: 12 servings