Start your meal with a few of these amazing Spring Rolls with Sweet Chilli Dipping Sauce. Simply delicious and comforting.
Spring Rolls with Sweet Chilli Dipping Sauce
You can cook the spring rolls 2 to 3 hours in advance, then reheat them on a foil-lined baking sheet at 400°F (200°C) Gas 6 for about 10 minutes. They freeze well for up to two weeks.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Appetizer
Serves: 20 to 24 pieces
- 1 ounce (25 g) rice vermicelli noodles
- peanut oil, for deep-frying
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) grated fresh root ginger
- 2 spring onions, finely shredded
- 2 ounces (50 g) carrot, finely shredded
- 2 ounces (50 g) mangetouts (snow peas), shredded
- 1 ounce (25 g) young spinach leaves
- 2 ounces (50 g) fresh beansprouts
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) chopped fresh mint
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) chopped fresh coriander
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) fish sauce
- 20 to 24 spring roll wrappers, each 5 inches (13 cm) square
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
For the dipping sauce
- 2 ounces (50 g) granulated sugar
- 2 fluid ounces (50 ml) rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) water
- 2 fresh red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- First make the dipping sauce. Place the sugar, vinegar and water in a small pan.
- Heat gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves, then boil rapidly until it forms a light syrup.
- Stir in the chillies and leave to cool.
- Soak the noodles according to the packet instructions, then rinse and drain well. Using scissors, snip the noodles into short lengths.
- Heat 15 ml (1 Tablespoon) of the oil in a preheated wok and swirl it around. Add the ginger and spring onions and stir-fry for 15 seconds. Add the carrot and mangetouts and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the spinach, beansprouts, mint, coriander, fish sauce and noodles and stir-fry for a further minute. Set aside to cool.
- Soften the spring roll wrappers, following the directions on the packet. Take one spring roll wrapper and arrange it so that it faces you in a diamond shape. Place a spoonful of filling just below the center, then fold up the bottom point over the filling.
- Fold in each side, then roll up tightly. Brush the end with beaten egg white to seal. Repeat until all the filling has been used up.
- Half-fill a wok with oil and heat to 350°F (180°C). Deep-fry the spring rolls in batches for 3 to 4 minutes until golden and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve hot with the sweet chilli dipping sauce.