Spring Green Soup with Puff Pastry Cap is an elegant soup that always impress, but couldn’t be easier to make. Prepared puff pastry can be found in the frozen food section of most supermarkets.
- 3 leeks
- 4 green onions
- 1/2 pound shiitake or domestic mushrooms
- 1 pound thin asparagus (about 24 spears)
- 1/4 pound sugar snap peas
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 6 Cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 pound prepared puff pastry; thawed if frozen
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Clean leeks; slice crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces. Trim green onions and slice diagonally into 1-inch pieces. Wash mushrooms, trim and discard stems, and slice into strips about 1/4 inch wide. Wash asparagus, discard any dry, tough ends, and slice on diagonal into 1-inch pieces. Remove stems from snap peas.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan. Add leeks and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tender (about 8 minutes). Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in onions and cook 1 minute. Add stock, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Add asparagus and peas; turn off heat.
- Pour into 2-quart souffle dish. Cool slightly, then refrigerate until well chilled.
- Cut puff pastry into a circle 2 inches larger than souffle dish. Place pastry over top of dish and press onto sides, smearing edges of puff pastry slightly to adhere to dish. Refrigerate until 45 minutes before serving time.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Mix egg and water and brush on puff pastry. Bake until pastry is golden brown and crisp (about 40 minutes). Serve immediately: cut puff pastry open at the table, ladle a piece of pastry and a serving of soup into individual bowls.
Charred red peppers have a unique, smoky flavor that adds greatly to the flavor of Southwestern Gril...
Louisiana-Style Shrimp Cakes are one of the glories of the Gulf and Cajun cookery. Rich in flavor, a...
Strawberry Charlotte Russe is a really cool gelatin dessert that is full of flavor and excitement. Y...
Kladdkaka is a chocolate cake from Sweden. Its exceptional flavor is gloriously complemented by ras...