Spinach Soup with Chili Gnocchi is an a spicy, pleasurable potage that tantalizes the palate and teases the taste buds.
Spinach Soup with Chili Gnocchi
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 1 batch
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes
- 4 fresh hot red chili peppers
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 whole nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 Cup self-rising flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 pounds shallots (or onions)
- 1 pound fresh spinach or thawed frozen leaf spinach
- 1/3 Cup olive oil
- 5 Cups fresh chicken stock
- Peel the potatoes, cut in large chunks and cook in water until just tender. Drain, return to pan and shake over low heat to dry excess moisture. Save the water for the gnocchi.
- Remove seeds from chilies and shred; add to the potatoes. Chop the cilantro and add these. Season with grated nutmeg,salt and pepper. Mash until free of lumps.Take out 2 heaping tablespoons and reserve them for thickening the soup. Add the flour to the pan and briefly beat to blend. Add the egg and beat in.
- Turn onto floured surface, knead briefly and divide into 4. Roll each quarter into a cylinder with a diameter of 1-inch.Shake more flour over,cover with a cloth and leave while you make the soup. Peel and chop the shallots. If using fresh spinach, cut out larger stems. Heat a large pan of salted water to poach the gnocchi.
- Fry the shallots in olive oil until translucent. Grate in fresh nutmeg to taste and add the stock.Bring to a boil and add the spinach. Lower heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Put in a blender or food processor with the reserved potato and puree. Season with salt and pepper, return to pan and keep hot over low heat. Cut the gnocchi cylinders into individual dumplings, about 1 inch in size. Poach in simmering water 5 minutes and remove with a slotted spoon. Transfer cooked gnocchi to 4 warmed soup bowls and pour over the spinach soup.