Spinach Gratin is one of those simple yet simply extraordinary dishes perfectly suited to accompany steaks, chops and even pasta.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 3 pounds spinach; stems removed, or frozen
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- Mornay Sauce (click for recipe)
- 4 Tablespoons Gruyere
- Wash the spinach well and put it in a non-aluminum, non-reactive pot. Cover and cook it in its own water over medium heat until wilted, about 5 minutes. Put the wilted spinach in a strainer and, with the back of a large spoon, squeeze as much liquid from the spinach as possible. If it is cool enough to handle, squeeze the water out with your hands, a small handful at a time.
- Chop the spinach by hand or in a food processor, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and mix with 3 tablespoons of the butter.
- Use the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter to grease the gratin dish. Add the spinach, cover with Mornay Sauce (see recipe) and sprinkle with cheese.
- Twenty minutes before serving, place in a preheated 375 degrees F oven.
- Bake until browned and bubbly.