The simplest things are often the most wonderful, as this salad proves. If you are not fond of yogurt dressing, or prefer something lighter, feel free to select or create your own.
- 3/4 pound spinach; * see note
- 6 ounces mushrooms; sliced
- 2 medium carrots; thinly sliced
- 1 Cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 Cups alfalfa or mixed sprouts
- half a medium cucumber; thinly sliced
- 1/4 Cup roasted sunflower seeds
- radish roses; for garnish
- 2/3 Cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 Cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 green onions; thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic; minced or pressed
- To prepare salad, combine spinach, mushrooms, carrots, tomatoes, sprouts, and cucumber in a salad bowl; set aside.
- To prepare Tangy Yogurt Dressing, mix yogurt, mayonnaise, and mustard in a small bowl. Mix until smooth and well combined. Mix in onions and garlic. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or longer to blend flavors.
- Add dressing to spinach mixture and mix lightly; or, if you wish, place salad mixture in individual salad bowls and divide dressing evenly among them. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
Salad Yield: 4 to 6 servings. Dressing Yield: 1 cup.