Spicy Steak and Cheese Open-Faced Sandwiches
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
- 1 pound beef top round, 1 in. thick
- 1/4 Cup red wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed dry red pepper pods
- 4 Jarlsberg cheese slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 Spanish onion, large, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 whole roasted red pepper *
- 2 French rolls (8 ounces each)
- Place steak in plastic bag or utility dish with cover. Spread both sides of steak with garlic. Combine 1/4 cup of the vinegar and 1 tablespoon of the oil, pour over steak. Turn to coat well. Seal bag or cover dish and marinate in refrigerator at least 6 hours or overnight, turning at least once. Pour off marinade, leaving garlic on steak. Put steak in broiler (or on grill) 3 to 4 inches from heat.
- Broil 8 to 10 minutes on each side (for rare to medium).
- In large frying pan, cook onion in remaining oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add remaining vinegar, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and crushed red pepper; cook until most of the vinegar evaporates. Remove from heat.
- Carve the steak into 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick slices and season with remaining salt. Slice whole pepper into thin strips. Add steak and pepper to onion mixture, stirring to coat.
- Slice rolls in half lengthwise and remove soft inside to leave 4 shells, 1/2 inch thick. Tear removed bread into small pieces and mix into meat mixture. Divide meat into 4 portions and fill shells.
- Top with cheese. Place under broiler to melt cheese.
- * Whole red roasted pepper from a jar.