A delightful accompaniment, Spicy Pickled Plums are both sweet and tangy, packed with flavor.
Spicy Pickled Plums
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 2 Quarts
- 2 pounds firm ripe plums
- 4 allspice berries
- 4 small dried red chilies
- 4 cinnamon sticks (1 inch each)
- 6 whole cloves
- 4 blades of mace
- 3 Cups distilled malt vinegar
- 3 Cups sugar
- Sterilize 2 quart jars. Keep hot until needed. Prepare lids as manufacturer directs. Prick plums several times with a cocktail stick. Half fill hot jars with plums.
- Add 2 allspice berries, 2 chilies, 2 cinnamon sticks, 3 cloves and 2 blades of mace to each jar. Add remaining plums to fill jars. In a saucepan, combine vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil 5 minutes.
- Pour hot vinegar into jars to cover plums completely. Wipe rims of jars with a clean damp cloth. Attach lids and place in a canner. Process 20 minutes in a boiling-water bath. Store in a cool dry dark place at least 1 month before serving.
Garnish with a fresh mint sprig, if desired, and serve with cold meats and salads.