Spiced Cantaloupe Pickle is a wonderful treat in colder months to enjoy the fruits of summertime. This is great when accompanying lunch or dinner and perfect with burgers.
- 2 Quarts cantaloupe meat, cut into 1 inch squares
- 1/4 Cup salt
- 4 Cups sugar
- 1 Cup vinegar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons whole allspice berries
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons whole cloves
- Select firm, slightly underripe cantaloupe. Cut in half, remove seeds and rind, and cut into 1" squares.
- Combine 1 Quart cold water and the salt and stir to dissolve. Pour over cantaloupe meat and let stand 3 hours. Drain.
- Add sugar, vinegar and spices to 3 Cups boiling water in a large enamel or stainless steel pot. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the drained cantaloupe and bring to a boil. Boil 10 min, cool, cover and let stand overnight.
- Drain the syrup from the cantaloupe. Bring the syrup to a boil and boil 10 minutes. Add the cantaloupe and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat and simmer 45 min until cantaloupe pieces are clear and translucent. Pour immediately into hot sterile jars and seal at once.
This lightened version skips the traditionally breaded and fried cutlet in favor of simply prepare m...
There's something so incredibly wonderful about a Blueberry Crisp. The flavor, texture and comfort ...
Duchesse potatoes may be served simply or in an elegant presentation. No matter how you prepare them...
Eggplant Flan with Red and Yellow Tomato Coulis is an exceptional delight - a blend of flavors that ...