An ancient way of preparing beef, this method is very rarely, if ever used today, though the results are extraordinary.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
Serves: 6 to 8
- 12 pounds of flat ribs
- 1/2 pound salt
- 1/4 pound demerara sugar
- 1 ounce of saltpeter
- 1/4 ounces pepper
- 1/4 ounces cloves
- 1/4 ounces allspice
- 1/4 ounces mace
- Bone the meat; mix the salt, sugar and the rest of the ingredients together.
- Place the meat in a deep dish and sprinkle over with the dried mixed ingredients. Turn the meat every day for a fortnight.
- At the end of the fortnight wash well and roll up and tie.
- Place in a self-basting tin or casserole with some beef dripping and roast in a moderate oven for four hours.
- Turn out on a meat dish, cover with a plate and place a weight on top.
- Beef treated in this way is very tender and tasty.
This recipe takes two weeks to prepare. A fortnight, is 15 days, and today, few cooks would marinate meat for 15 days, no matter how good it might be. Fear of food contamination overrides one's desire for great flavor.
Serve cold with a salad.