The Spanish Potato Omelet from Castile is an exceptional blend of simple flavors which compound to create a delicious dish. Omelets are not served in Europe as in America, and more often found on dinner menus than breakfast. This recipe is suitable for either and makes a fantastic family meal.
- 1 medium potato
- 1 small onion
- 1 slices cured ham (1 ounce)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Cut potato in thin slices. Chop onion fine. Cut ham into small pieces.
- Heat olive oil to verge of smoking and fry ham. When it is slightly browned, add onions. When onions are soft and golden, add potatoes.
- After potatoes are cooked, allow mixture to cool a few minutes before adding to two eggs beaten with a pinch of salt. Stir mixture while reheating frying pan with additional oil (if needed to cover the bottom of the pan).
- When the oil is on the verge of smoking, pour in mixture and keep shaking the pan and sliding a spatula or knife around the edges of the omelet to keep it free and to form a high, rounded edge.
- When the omelet is almost firm, hold a plate upside down against the frying pan; invert both, dropping the omelet onto the plate as you do so, then slip the omelet back into the pan browned side up. This is easiest to do if the plate you use fits neatly inside the frying pan. Shake the pan while the second side browns. Serve at once.
Leek and Potato Soup with Country Ham is a delicious soup full of outstanding flavor including count...
Simply wonderful, Pan-Roasted Winter Vegetables come to life with herbs and Marsala. An ideal side d...
Hazelnut adds a wonderful flavor component to Creamed Brussels Sprouts with Hazelnut Crumbs. Great f...
Crispy matzos are always a treat. This traditional, ancient flatbread has celebrated religious holid...