Spaghettini with Garlic and Oil
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Pasta
- 3/4 pound spaghettini
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic -- minced
- 1/8 teaspoon dried red-pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- mozzarella - diced optional
- sun-dried tomatoes optional
- 1. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the spaghettini until just done, about 9 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small pan oer moderately low heat. Add the garlic and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until the garlic softens, about 1 minute. Drain the pasta. Toss with the garlic and oil, parsley, salt and pepper.
Variations on the theme: Add any of the following (or a combination) to the basic recipe above.: *1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese and 1 extra tablespoon olive oil (also good in combination with any of the other variations) *6 tablespoons chopped fresh basil *2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary *1 tablespoon dried sage *1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in 1/2 cup hot water, drained, rinsed and chopped (reserve the soaking water, strain it and add to the pasta as well) *6 anchovy fillets, minced, or 1-1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste (excellent combination with eh porcini mushroom)