This recipe for simple Spaghetti al Pomodoro e Basilico is cooked with a fast tomato sauce and is an economical treasure. Serve with fresh (not dry) basil for exceptional flavor. In Italy, this may be served as a pasta course, an appetizer or the main course.
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh ripe tomatoes
- 1/3 Cup Italian olive oil
- 1/2 Cup chopped onion
- 30 ml garlic
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 pounds spaghetti
- 3/4 Cup Parmesan cheese
- 20 basil leaves
- Wash, peel and chop tomatoes, discarding seeds.
- Heat oil in a moderately deep pan, add onion & garlic and saute until onion is limp. Discard garlic and add tomatoes, chopped basil and salt and pepper. Simmer for about 20 minutes over moderate heat.
- While sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of water to boil. Add salt to taste and add spaghetti. Boil until spaghetti is "al dente," approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain spaghetti, toss with the sauce and the grated cheese.
- Garnish each plate with some of the basil leaves.
- Serve at once.
These glorious sandwiches are the kind of healthful, flavor rich food that is perfect for lunch or p...
Try substituting other wines for the Marsala; a combination of strong coffee and brandy also makes a...
Bulgogi is the one of the most popular dishes in Korea, and one which Westerners find very pleasing....
Christmas Mincemeat Parcels are a delicious and elegant way to prepare a wonderful dessert. Flavorf...