A classic of American cooking, Sweet Potato Pie is a sultry, delicious confection of simple construction and magnificent flavor. Perfect for Autumn.
Southern Sweet Potato Pie
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
- 15 ounce package refrigerated pie crusts
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 Cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 Cup butter
- 3/4 Cup milk
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prepare piecrust according to package directions for filled one-crust pie using 9-inch pie pan.
- Flute edges to stand 1/2 inch above rim, or use braided edge.
- Boil sweet potatoes in small amount of water until soft when tested with fork; drain. Peel; then mash the potatoes. Measure 1 1/2 cups of mashed sweet potatoes into large bowl. Whisk in remaining ingredients; blend well.
- Pour filling into pastry-lined pie pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake an additional 50 to 60 minutes, or until filling is set and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cover edge of crust with strips of foil after 30 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Cool.
1 1/2 cups of canned pumpkin can be substituted for sweet potatoes; omit nutmeg and add 2 teaspoons pumpkin-pie spice. This makes a delicious pumpkin pie.