A rich, flavorful cake with a sweet, delectable frosting, Southern Red Velvet Cake is an absolute delight. A true gem of a dessert.
Southern Red Velvet Cake
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 8 to 10
- 1/2 Cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Cup buttermilk
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetend cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Icing (recipe follows)
- 2 Cups milk
- 2/3 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Cups sugar
- 2 Cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Cream shortening and sugar in mixer, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla; mix for about 3 minutes.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda; add to mixture on low speed just until blended.
- Bake in 2 greased 10-inch round cake pans at 350 degrees F until pick inserted in center comes out mostly clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove; let cool.
- Split cooled cake layers; fill and frost with icing.
- Whisk milk and flour in saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until very thick. Let cool; strain out lumps.
- Beat sugar, butter, vanilla and salt for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add flour mixture and continue beating until no sugar crystals remain.