Sour Cream Noodle Bake
Author: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Recipe type: Casseroles
- 1 package medium-wide egg noodles (8 ounces)
- boiling salted water
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 1 Cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 1 Cup chopped green onions
- 1 Cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Cook noodles in boiling salted water about 8 minutes or according to package directions. Rinse in cold water; drain in colander. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown beef in butter over medium heat; pour off and discard grease. Add salt, pepper, garlic salt and tomato sauce. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Combine cottage cheese, sour cream, green onions and cooked noodles.
- Alternate layers of noodle mixture and meat mixture in a greased 2-quart casserole dish, beginning with noodles and ending with meat. Top with shredded cheese. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.
- Yields 8 servings.
Here's a bonus for Miss Hulling's Restaurant fans, served each Monday as a special entree.