The unquestionable flavors of Sopa de Tortilla are singularly matched by the impeccable nutritional values of this fabulous Mexican soup.
Sopa de Tortilla
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 3 large tomatoes, cored
- 6 Cups chicken broth
- 3 Pasilla chiles
- 3 garlic cloves
- salt, to taste
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 Cup queso fresco, cubed or shredded
- 2 Cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- Score the tomatoes with an “X” on the end. Broil on low, turning often, until the skins are blackened and the tomatoes are softened, about 20 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- In a pot over medium heat, bring chicken broth to a simmer. Pour just enough broth over the chiles to cover and let stand 20 minutes.
- Quarter the tomatoes. In a blender, blend the tomatoes, chiles and their soaking liquid, and garlic until smooth, adding more broth if necessary.
- Strain the tomato-chile mixture into the pot with the broth. Season with salt. Bring to a simmer; cook 20 minutes. Taste for seasoning, adding salt if necessary.
- Meanwhile, make the tortilla strips. Drizzle strips with vegetable oil; bake at 350 degrees F until golden and crisp, about 12 minutes.
- To serve, place 2 slices of avocado in each bowl. Divide tortilla strips, cheese and chicken among the bowls. Ladle soup over the top.