Smothered Broad Beans with Sausage (Habas a la Catalana)
Author: Barbara Norman
Recipe type: Vegetables
- 3 pounds shelled beans (broad beans or lima beans)
- 5 ounces lean bacon or pork fat; cubed
- 4 ounces loin of pork; cut bite-size pieces
- 12 slices cooked pork sausage
- 1 medium onion; chopped
- 1 tomato
- 2 cloves garlic; peeled
- 1 Tablespoon Creme de Menthe (or a sprig of fresh mint)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1/4 stick cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 Cup water
- salt, to taste
- Heat olive oil and fry bacon or pork fat, loin of pork, and chopped onion with the whole tomato. After a few minutes, add whole garlic cloves.
- When the meat is browned and the onion golden, remove the tomato. Add the creme de menthe (unless you are using fresh mint); let it boil down. Add the water and the shelled beans. Tie together the bay leaf, parsley, cinnamon stick, and, if you are using it, the fresh mint, and place it in the casserole.
- Cover and boil over moderate fire for 15 to 20 minutes or until beans are very tender; shake casserole from time to time while beans cook. Before serving, remove herbs and garlic cloves.
- Heat sausage slices with some of the juice from the beans in a separate saucepan. (If there is not enough juice to permit this, simmer the sausages in salt water.) When beans are cooked, salt to taste and serve with sausages on top.
Recipe Source: THE SPANISH COOKBOOK by Barbara Norman