A superb, smokey flavored pate rich in deep flavors. Served with small piecs of bread, its a treat.
- 1 pound smoked tuna or smoked mackerel skin; removed
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tablespoons to 4 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- juice of 1/2 large lemon (about 2 Tablespoons)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons very finely diced red onion
- Flake the tuna or mackerel and combine it with the cream cheese, mayonnaise and lemon juice in a food processor. Process until smooth and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and fold in the red onion.
- Cover and chill the pate until ready to serve.
Any number of smoked fish can be used in this simple recipe. Instead of a large serving bowl, you can also chill it in small individual bowls or ramekins for an elegant first course, with thinly sliced French or black bread.
Serve with small pieces of sliced bread. It goes well with pita, rye, pumpernickle, ciambatta or French baguette.