Small Marinated Fish Catalan Style (Pescaditos en Escabeche a la Catalana)
Author: Barbara Norman
Recipe type: Seafood
- 12 small fresh fish - mackerel, anchovy, or; see * Note
- 1/4 Cup olive oil; for frying
- 1 Cup olive oil; for marinade
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 head garlic; unpeeled
- 2 sprigs parsley; chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
- flour; for dusting
- * Note: With mackerel it is preferable to use only the fillets, which you can remove from the fish after it is browned.
- Fry lightly floured fish in 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. When lightly browned put in a recipient, preferably one with a flat surface large enough to accommodate the fish.
- Heat the cup of olive oil over a high flame. Fry in it a coarsely chopped, unpeeled half head of garlic with the black pepper and chopped parsley. Let it bubble, stir a few times, remove pan from fire, and blend in the paprika mixed with the cayenne. Add salt to taste.
- Pour the hot liquid over the fish. Let it marinate 24 hours before serving. The fish will keep in a cool place five days or more.
Recipe Source: THE SPANISH COOKBOOK by Barbara Norman