Small Marinated Fish Andalusian Style (Pescaditos en Escabeche a la Andaluz)
Author: Barbara Norman
Recipe type: Seafood
- 12 small fresh fish - mackerel, anchovy, or; see * Note
- 1/4 Cup olive oil; for frying
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/3 Cup vinegar
- 2/3 Cup water
- 1/2 lemon; sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- salt, to taste
- flour; for dusting
- * Note: With mackerel it is preferable to use only the fillets, which you can remove from the fish after it is browned.
- Fry lightly floured fish in 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. When lightly browned put in a recipient, preferably one with a flat surface large enough to accommodate the fish.
- Crush the garlic, saffron, cumin seed, and ginger in a mortar. Stir in the vinegar and water, salt to taste, and cover the fishes with the mixture.
- Put in half a sliced lemon and two bay leaves. Let it marinate 24 hours before serving. This dish will keep for several days in a cool place.
Recipe Source: THE SPANISH COOKBOOK by Barbara Norman