Exceptionally fine muffins, akin to their cousin the Crumpet, made perfect when served with rich, creamy butter and a hearty fruit jam. Ideally served with tea in the afternoon, or coffee in the morning.
- 4 Cups flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar salt
- 1/4 Cup lard
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 1 1/4 Cups currants or currants and sultanas mixed
- 2 Tablespoons milk; or enough to make stiff dough
- Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt then rub in lard (we would use shortening) and butter. Add currants and milk to make dough stiff enough to roll 3/4" thick.
- Cut into thick rounds and bake on greased griddle or lightly greased electric pan set on low, until brown. Turn and cook on the other side.
- Split and spread with butter and jam.
Source: More Baking with Schmecks Appeal